Palm Springs is a technicolor dream of bright doors, bright white buildings, and deep pink bougainvillea that naturally inspire visitors to escape their city wardrobes. Packing for Palm Springs (especially in December and January) can be a challenge, it actually does it cold here (20 degree evenings are the norm) and many people forget to pack that scarf and jacket thinking we enjoy 365 days of 90 degree temps. Palm Springs is most famous for it’s mid century architecture and glamorous Hollywood history and the style is naturally inspired by both…with a mix of boho chic thanks to the influence of Coachella and the high desert. So, what should are some things to remember for your next trip to the desert?
- Ditch the Heels – Generally speaking you won’t see a lot of women in heels around here. Flat sandals, slides, and the occasional wedge is about as dressy as we get. Unless you are attending a specific event that calls for a dressier shoe options opt for packing a sandal or slide that can take you from poolside to cocktails, a low bootie, and dressier sandal for dinner.
- Don’t forget about the sun – Even in the cool winter months the sun here is STRONG. Plan on packing a hat that will keep you face shaded while you explore the desert, shop, or lay by the pool. Opting for a wide brim straw style can take you from day to night.
- Layer – This is especially true if you are traveling between October and April when the daytime highs are warm but the evening can dip fairly low. A jean jacket is an ideal option that pairs back to shorts, sundresses, skinny jeans, rompers…anything!
- Find inspiration in the 60s – Of course fashion is always influenced by the past, what’s old is always new again, but Palm Springs takes it to a whole new level. A Marilyn Monroe inspired dress, a floor length caftan, a high waist bikini, or a scarf wrapped as a turban all scream Palm Springs chic. If you would rather find a vintage piece here there are plenty of vintage shops to scour!
- Don’t be afraid of color – I am the first one to pull out an all black outfit on a daily basis, color isn’t usually my jam (as I”m sure you can tell if you follow me on Instagram) but use the vibrant colors of Palm Springs as an opportunity to embrace some color!
I hope this helps you pick out just the right pieces for your next Palm Springs trip! Don’t forget to check out my Ultimate Guide to Palm Springs for my favorite spots!
Hat: Janessa Leone (similar option HERE) // Dress: Mara Hoffman (on sale!) // Sandals: Apiece Apart (similar option from Stuart Weitzman HERE) // Bag: Cult Gaia // Sunnies: Perverse (sold out but love this option from Gentle MonsterGentle MonsterGentle Monster)