Today I am celebrating my 34th birthday. I feel like 34 is really the last year one is in their “early 30s” and subsequently I feel I should have a few things in life figured out by now. Should is the key word in that sentence! While I certainly don’t claim to have all the answers here are a few things I have learned over the years:
- Know your style and don’t be afraid to stick with it – Sure, it’s fun to play with fashion and experiment with new silhouettes or colors but a friend recently told me that I seem to always wear the same colors and styles. It’s because I know what works for my body. I have this exact pair of simple strappy heels in 3 colors because they are simple, comfy, and work with what I like.
- Splurge on Bubbles – Of course we all pick up an inexpensive bottle of bubble from time to time (champagne for those of you confused) but splurging on a vintage bottle will be a game changer for you. There is something so different about an actual vintage champagne versus sparkling wine. Oh, and showing up to a party with a beautiful bottle is a grown up must. I personally adore a vintage Veuve or Dom.
- Realize you can’t do it all – This one has been a struggle for me. I am a bit of a perfectionist and feel disappointment if I don’t cross everything off my daily “To Do” list. As I have got older and taken more demanding roles at work, adopted a dog, moved in with my boyfriend, tried to maintain friendships, started a blog I have had to learn that somedays my house is a mess or the laundry doesn’t get done. IT’S OKAY.
- Be willing to accept help – Another tough one for this stubborn girl! I like to think I don’t need help but guess what? We all need help from time to time. Be willing to accept help from friends, family, a dog walker, a housekeeper, whatever! But also remember to give help to others.
- Find you time – No matter what, take time each week for yourself. I am still learning to balance this one but I swear, it’s important to your mental health and relationship to do this. Go to the gym, bing watch reality tv, read a trashy magazine, go to yoga, have a glass of wine with girlfriends.
One last thing, thank you all who continue to follow along on this blog journey of mine. It means so much to me that anyone reads what I write, let alone subscribes to my blog! It is still such a humbling, surreal experience.
Dress // Jacket (sold out but similar HERE) // Heels
Location: The Amado
Photo Cred: my boyfriend Chris
One thought on “A Darling Birthday”